Lost Landmarks

Sadly, many of Fothergill’s works did not survive through the developments of the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. At a time when Gothic Victorian architecture was considered vulgar, tasteless and ugly, his work was not greatly valued. The redevelopment and wholesale "moderisation and improvement" of Nottingham led to the destruction of many of his buildings at that time.

     

Fothergill Family Home
7 Mapperley Road, Nott'm
.

Fothergill built this striking Gothic house in 1871-72 for his growing family. It was very characteristic of his early style - tracery in the windows, star motifs over the doors and windows, towers, finials and tall ornate chimneys.

Fothergill and his family lived here until his death in 1928, when the house was sold.

It was torn down in 1968 after years of sad neglect, and a characterless block of maisonettes -"Fothergill Court" - now stands on the site.

 



Black Boy Hotel
Long Row, Nottingham

An inn had stood on this sight for many years when it was rebuilt by Fothergill in 1887-88. He later extended and added to the hotel in 1897.

With its massive central tower with dark wooden gables and a Bavarian balcony with a dark wood balustrade, it was a major landmark in Nottingham city centre until its demolition in the late 1960s. It was replaced by a hideous, souless, concrete 1960s "Littlewoods" shop.

 
     

St. Nicholas' Rectory
Castle Gate, Nottingham

This 'muscular' home for the Rector was built in 1886 right next door to St. Nicholas' Church. The conical centre tower dominated the facade, and 'brooding' dormer window, tall ornate chimneys, and string courses of blue bricks gave the house its typical Fothergill style.

It was demolished in 1958 as part of the construction of one of Britain's most unlovely pieces of road - Maid Marion Way.

 
     

Albert Hall
East Circus Street, Nottingham

Fothergill's first major commission came when he won the major competition to design the (first) Albert Hall.

The concert hall could seat 2,500 people and was said to have had wonderful acoustics. It was in the French Early Gothic style, and the front was dominated by a huge saddle-back tower, nearly 150 feet tall.

It was opened on 20th September, 1876, and sadly burnt down on the night of 2nd April, 1906. The present day "Albert Hall" now stands on the site of Fothergill's original building.

 
     

Emmanuel Church
Woodborough Road, Nottingham

Fothergill built the Emmanuel Church on Woodborough Road in 1883. It was extended in 1892 and again in 1898.

It was finally demolished in 1972 during the wholesale clearance of the St. Ann's district.

These photographs were taken in 1972 just prior to the church being flattened. All round the site, the area has already been cleared.

 
     
Other Fothergill buildings which have been tragically demolished include:-
  • The Congregational Church, West Gate, Mansfield - sadly neglected for many years, then demolished in the eary 1980s.
  • Emmanuel Church, Woodborough Road, Nottingham - cleared away as part of the 1970s St. Ann's redevelopment
  • A J Wooton warehouse on Pilcher gate - demolished
  • Warehouses for Messrs. Tipton & Son ( Fancy Box Manufacturers ) on Hounds Gate, Nottingham - destroyed, possibly during a WWII air-raid
  • “Corporation Buildings” - a block of 40 houses built in Basford for workers at the gas undertaking at Basford - demolished not many years after being first built (one of Fothergill’s less successful building designs).